*** NOTE: For OOMA ENTERPRISE customers and resellers ONLY ***
Description: I need to register my business location or locations for E911 services and I am located in North America.
Please note: This article is for emergency services in North America only and exclusively for Ooma Enterprise customers and resellers. If you are an Ooma Enterprise customer and require coverage in other geographies, please contact our support team.
E911 emergency location verification
In accordance to FCC, CRTC and NENA standards and regulations, Voice Over IP telephone users must register their phones with a corresponding physical location (address) for the purpose of 911 emergency calls; also referred to as E911.
Ooma Enterprise may periodically remind you to verify the accuracy of the information in our management portal, and update this as required. Failure to accurately register your information may result in a delay or inability to dispatch Emergency Services to your location.
It is the customer's responsibility to ensure that E911 information is accurate and up-to-date.
Additionally, by using our service the customer agrees and acknowledges that:
- A key difference between traditional 9-1-1 services ("Traditional 911") and VoIP phone 911 ("VoIP 911") is that with Traditional 911, a 911 call is sent directly to the nearest emergency response centre whereas with VoIP 911, a 911 call is forwarded to a third-party service provider that will automatically or manually route such call to the nearest emergency response centre;
- An emergency operator may or may not have the name, location or contact information of a caller using VoIP 911 and as such the customer that is making the VoIP 911 call must at all times provide the emergency operator with their location and contact particulars;
- The customer will provide Ooma Enterprise with the accurate address for the Site and will immediately update Ooma Enterprise with any modifications thereto;
How to keep your E911 directory information updated
Our company has only one physical location:
- For your convenience, you can manage your E911 registrations from within the Management Portal located at: http://oomaenterprise.voxter.com
- Log into your Ooma Enterprise Account.
- Select the Phone Numbers (or Number Manager) module from the list of apps across the top of the page.
- Find the number you would like to register and click the blue E911 link in the same line.
- Only input digits (without parenthesis, space, etc)
- Enter the appropriate address information for the number
If your company has more than one physical location serviced by Ooma Enterprise, complete the step for each number that requires an E911 registration. Please note that for companies with more than one physical location and E911 registration the following should be taken into account.
- Ooma Enterprise is unable to accomodate a default emergency outgoing caller ID on a per location basis; instead, you can only set one for all locations.
- For each additional location, you will need to create an override for the Emergency Caller ID. This needs to be done for each extension at a given location and can be done from within the Management Portal.
- If unsure on the override steps or how to set the default emergency outgoing caller ID, please contact your Ooma Enterprise Customer Success Hero to request access or training.
- Unsure how to reach us? Please see How do I Contact Ooma Enterprise Support?
- Once completed, please verify that the outgoing caller ID for each phone extension corresponds to the appropriate location and E911 registration.
Successful E911 registrations are displayed with green text in the Phone Numbers module of the Management Portal.
Clicking the E911 text on a successful registration will allow you to verify the existing registration or edit the information contained within.
- If unsure on how many or which phone numbers your company has registered with Ooma Enterprise, please submit a request here to be provided a list.
- If you would like further guidance or training on how to add or update an address to a telephone number using the self-service options in the Management Portal, please contact Ooma Enterprise Support here or call us at 1-866-688-8666 and select option 1 from the menu.